You are here: Home / Matt / Crafty

The Pony Bike

May 18th, 2011 · 9 Comments

The pony bike project is done, at least for now. Additions to the stock Xtracycle components include:

• Big Apples: Schwalbe tires for a cushy ride with great handling and durability.
  • Copper foot rests: a simple spot to place those patas.
  • BFL-2010 LED bicycle front light: easily as bright as a car headlight.
  • A liberal application of reflective tape and two large rear lights: for extra nighttime visibility.
  • Custom deck: Joyce drew out the pony head and rear on a piece of 2×12 Southern pine. Matt’s seat backs and handles allow extra stability at starts, stops, and over bumps.
  • Glass eyes, plus Wool-Ease mane and tail: make it a pony.
  • Lone Star on right rump: make it a Texan.
  • Bouquet of flowers on a fiberglass tusk whip flag pole: for visibility and charm.
  • Reflective/phosphorescent halter and reins: for visibility and because, well, every backseat cowgirl and cowboy need some.

Tags: Crafty · Dynamic Duo

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charles Jacobs // May 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Very nicely done, much more ambitious than my efforts to date. I hope you enjoy many safe friendly miles.

• 2 Rick Pickett // May 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Awesome rear shot with the two girls looking back! :D

• 3 No // May 19, 2011 at 1:55 am

@Rick – I think one is a boy!

• 4 J. // May 19, 2011 at 7:12 am

Yup, the one at the back is my son David. Rick isn’t the first one to see David in a picture and think he’s a girl–I guess he’s just too cute. ;)

• 5 dr2chase // May 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

That looks an awful lot like Rice U in most of the photos.

Also, you’ll want to goop up the copper going into the steel, to help cut down on galvanic corrosion (copper on steel, it will attack the steel). Possible goops include Boeshield, and lanolin — both gummy and persistent.

• 6 J. // May 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Yes, it is; hubby and I are both alumni, and live in the area. Are you in Houston, too?

We used bike grease for the barrier b/t the two metals, but I really like the idea of lanolin. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 7 dr2chase // May 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Baker ’82, my wife is Baker ’81 (and brothers in ’84 and ’86, plus two of us hung around for gradual school). And my parents, aunt, and two sister-in-laws.

The lanolin I use, I get from Rivendell (rivbike.com).

• 8 What’s Out There: Family Biking Options | kidHaven – things to do with kids in New Haven // Aug 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm

[...] Xtracycle owners can customize their bikes to fit their passengers, like here, here,  here, and here.  There are a number of Xtracycles in the area and more arriving each week it seems. The Devil’s [...]

• 9 Is Houston a Cyclists Friend? | Houston Matters // Sep 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm

[...] biking more accessible to all.  Mark Juedeman, is the founding member of Transition Houston and Joyce Almaguer-Reisdorf, a biking enthusiast and chief organizer of Cherryhurst [...]